Sunday, February 9, 2020

Exercise for the Soul

Please support the 2020 Boston Walk for Epilepsy!  

It is relatively cold outside.  While there is no immediate need for boots in my neck of the woods right now, the temperature still demands that I still wear a good amount of layers as well as adequate shell coverage, via my coat, as part of my footwear and for my hands.  

Having an illness such as epilepsy can definitely impact one's level of fitness, one's stamina and also motivation to seek out exercise.  However, I want to bring to attention a few good resources that I have found to be very helpful for people with neurological illnesses and/or various kinds of disabilities.  

Whether you are here in the Northeast or somewhere else, knowing about adaptive programs can help you to build your own connections to the community and to engage the world through exercise - something that remains essential for people suffering from epilepsy or any kind of disabling illness.  Whether it be through adaptive classes in yoga, gentle exercises in Qi Gong, skiing and winter sports, rock climbing or as a member of team-focused sports activities, there is always going to be an opportunity for people to build strength or to help their bodies and minds recover from difficult moments.  I am partial to dragonboat because it has definitely improved my upper body strength as well as my level of energy throughout the day.  

Lastly, I want to give a big shout-out to Outdoor Mindset, an organization that I came upon a few years ago that specifically builds on the benefits of experiencing the outdoors, specifically for people suffering from neurological challenges.  They have regular meet ups and encourage each other to spend time in the open air, regardless of what they have gone through in the past.  Please check them out!  

No comments:

Post a Comment